Jon Young, founder of the 8 Shields model, explains that for nature connective experiences to deepen fully within us it is necessary for us to ‘share our stories’ with others who will actively listen to them. He describes this as 2 halves of the same circle:
We can independently have meaningful experiences within nature, however without anyone to share the experiences with, the meaning will not fully develop.
It is important to share your stories with people who are ready and able to actively listen. In the past we may have had disappointing experiences of sharing a story with someone who did not believe us, wasn’t interested, judged us or just didn’t ‘get it’. These disconnecting responses can cause us to be less likely to share stories with others in the future.
We would like to offer online and in-person space for people to share their nature connection stories, mentoring one another to deepen the meaning of these and strengthening the ropes of connection.
Drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested on joining these sessions.
These sessions are offered in the spirit of connection and are free of charge.
Although hosted by us, the sessions will be co-created by those who attend them. If you feel inspired, do bring along any songs, poems, artwork, movement or sensory practices you would like to share.
These calls are primarily aimed at those in the East of England, as we try to grow connections and build a village locally. However, if you are further afield and wish to join us then you are very welcome too!
Nature Connection Resources
If you are newer to the concept of the ‘8 shields’ and the work of Jon Young and friends, you may find these signposts useful:
- Coyotes Guide to Connecting with Nature – http://coyotesguide.com/ Written by Jon Young, Ellen Haas & Evan McGown This is the main resource book for how to support nature connection using the 8 shields methodology.
- Jon Young’s TEDx Talk – Repairing emotional isolation through deep nature connection
- The 8 Shields Institute – http://www.8shields.org This is a global movement based on indigenous wisdom to get people reconnected with nature. They have made this short introductory video about the 8 shields mentoring model
- There are many wonderful videos of Jon Young giving talks and keynotes on YouTube, search for ‘Jon Young nature connection’ to find many.
- In the UK we have the ‘Nature Culture Network’ which promotes nature connection and 8 Shields locally. Sign up to their newsletter here.
- Check out some videos about the archetypes of the 8 directions created by UK based folk who run a year long course exploring the 8 Shields ‘Bringing it Home’ – https://bringingithome.life/video-series/
You must be logged in to post a comment.